I’ve tried many probiotics supplements before I decided to try Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics. I don’t regret I did. Dr. Mercola might be controversial on certain subjects, but he is also known to produce high quality supplements that has become very popular. Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics has received much praise from consumers.
Dr. Mercola’s enthusiasm for beneficial bacteria and fermented foods is well known. In any case, I decided to test Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics to see for myself how good it really is.
Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics Review and Test Results
The claims are that Dr. Mercola sticks to the highest principles when producing his supplements and that he only includes the best and most potent ingredients and in sufficient quantity. What about his Complete Probiotics supplement, does it deliver the effect you want?
- After using Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics for two years I conclude that this is one of the best probiotic supplement I’ve ever tried. Why so?
It contains a high CFU count compared to many other probiotic supplements. Dr. Mercola also included an impressive number of different beneficial bacteria, including one I had never tried before, Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1. This is one of the most potent probiotic bacteria known.
I felt a positive effect as son as I started with the supplement and the effect reached its maximum after a month or so. I’ve had serious problems with my gut for decades.
- One pleasant effect was a much more stable gut, more regular bowel movement. I was just a pleasant feeling of comfort in my gut.
- Amazingly, some of my most stubborn symptoms disappeared completely after a month. Bloating, pain, constipation bothered me much in the past, but not any more.
- Another “side effect” was weight loss. Losing weight was not my goal.
These positive effects from the probiotics prompted me to engage in a healthier diet. I started eating more raw food, less meat and skipped processed foods altogether. My wife and I also love juicing daily. This helped me to get back to the shape I had in my twenties, it was rally amazing! I’m not saying this is what everyone will experience. But it does show that a good probiotic supplement combined it with a healthy diet can accomplish amazing things in a short time.
As far as quality is concerned, Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotic is excellent.
Mercola Complete Probiotics as starter culture
When fermenting vegetables or sauerkraut at home, using a starter culture makes the process faster, more stable and will contain many more probiotic bacteria strains that if you stick to wild fermentation. Wild fermentation means just letting natural bacteria, yeast and enzymes present in the vegetables to get to work. However, using a starter culture makes things much easier.
Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics is an excellent starter culture. He also offers Kinetic Culture, a starter that is an improved, modified version of his Complete Probiotics supplement. Both contain the right composition of probiotic bacteria to produce fermented vegetables containing a large amount of probiotic bacteria—up to 10 trillion bacteria in four to six ounces of fermented vegetables. Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics also creates high vitamin K2 contents using two capsules for every quart of vegetables you’re fermenting.
I’ve also tried to use Dr. Mercola Probiotics to ferment raw milk into a yogurt-like drink. It worked marvelously! The yogurt tuned out fresh, creamy and could be kept in the fridge for about one week.
Cost of Dr. Mercola Compete Probiotics
The recommended daily serving is two capsules containing 70-90 billion CFU. However, I noticed that after taking two capsule for some months I was able to go down to one capsule per day and still get the desired effect. Each capsule contains 35-45 billion bacteria from 10 different strains. This is still high and if one capsule per day is enough, the price gets even more attractive.
I’ve also tried to take this supplement for a month or two and then stop for a month and then start again. This seems to work very well with my stomach and can lower the cost even more if you’re budget is limited.
If you buy the larger bottle with 180 capsules, you’ll pay about 40 cents per capsule (August 2014). Considering the many health benefits, this could be a great investment.
Dr. Mercola Probiotics Packs for children
To make it easier to take for children (and others who dislike capsules) to take, Dr. Mercola Probiotics Pack are prepared to just open and swallow. These are much simpler that swallowing big capsules.
The Probiotics Packs has a great taste that will please children; lemon, strawberry and raspberry. The Probiotics Packs are as powerful as the Complete Probiotics capsules. Therefore, the same applies to children as to adults—observe how your child reacts to probiotics and adjust the dose accordingly. It is always wise to start off slow.
- Each Mercola Probiotics Pack contains 66 billion CFU.
- 11 different probiotic bacteria strains
- Travel ready; easy to bring along when on the go
- Comes in lemon, raspberry and strawberry (they taste great!)
Details on Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1
Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics and Probiotics Packs contain the unique bacteria Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1. This is a major advantage compared to other supplements. Why?
Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 is a highly effective strain of beneficial bacteria. There are other strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus out there, but without the extension DDS-1 specificity. The DDS-1 strain has some unique properties are vital to human health. Research at a major Midwestern university showed how Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 enhanced human health because it colonized very well in the gut.
Several studies suggest that Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1…
- adapts well to the human body because of its human origin
- is acid and bile resistant for intestinal survival
- helps promote your digestive health
- supports your immune system
- contributes to the good balance of your intestinal flora
- produces significant quantities of lactase to aid in lactose intolerance challenges
It would seem that Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 is an important and necessary strain in any effective probiotic supplement.
But it’s one thing to just explain how Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 potentially enhances your health. It’s another to provide examples of clinical trials and research that provide compelling evidence.
Over the years, several studies have demonstrated the diverse effectiveness of DDS-1 and help validate its potential use as a probiotic. Here are a few examples.
- In 2010 a major, prestigious health center conducted a review of case studies to determine whether using a multispecies probiotic with DDS-1 could enhance bowel health. The results? After 60 days of treatment, most subjects showed significant improvement in abdominal health, bloating and occasional elimination irregularities. This study suggests that DDS-1 may help create a healthy balance of microflora in the gastrointestinal tract.
- From Gut (2003) – Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 support the epithelial cell lines
- (1997) – In animal research, DDS-1 supported the normal production of immune components. DDS-1 performed this better than three other strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus or Bfidobacterium bifidum.
Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics Product Features
- Helps maintain blood pressure levels in the normal range
- Packs 70-90 billion! “gut-friendly” bacteria in every serving
- Aids in the breakdown and removal of harmful toxins
- Provides critical support for your immune system health
- Promotes an optimal environment for the growth of good bacteria
- Contains specific super-strain Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1
- Shows high potency through independent lab test
- Works together with prebiotics for improved probiotic performance
- Is stable at room temperature for at least 2 years
- Is non-dairy, free from soy, corn, wheat, and gluten, and is non-GMO
- Helps maintain a healthy flora, promotes digestion, and supports immune function
- Adapts naturally to the human body due to its human origins
- Is acid and bile resistant to naturally survive the stomach and intestinal transit
- Produces natural enzymes, vitamins, lactic acid, and hydrogen peroxide
- Utilizes nitrogen packaging and is freeze-dried
- Comes available in vegetable-based capsules
- Is backed by academic and scientific research with patents and trademarks, and awards