I’ve tested many probiotics supplements before I decided to try Dr. Mercola New Complete Probiotics. Dr. Mercola’s enthusiasm for friendly bacteria and fermented foods is well known and his Complete Probiotics supplement has received much praise from many consumers.
A few years ago I used this supplement myself for almost two years. This updated review includes additional research about Mercola Probiotics.
Dr. Mercola Probiotics features
It does not take much research to realize that Dr. Mercola sticks to high manufacturing principles for his probiotic supplements. Mercola has included high quality and potent ingredients and in sufficient quantities.
The list of positive features is pretty impressive. Dr. Mercola Probiotics is backed by academic and scientific research including patents, trademarks, and awards. There are also independent lab tests done to confirm the potency of Mercola Probiotics.
Brief summary of features:
- Packs a minimum of 70-90 billion bacteria in one serving (2 capsules)
- 10 bacteria strains; all researched and with well-known benefits
- Contains an specific super-strain Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1; Mercola is one of the few manufacturers who includes this bacteria
- All bacteria are of human origins, so no doubtful soil organisms (HSOs)
- Capsules are vegetable-based, which is good
- Is stable at room temperature for at least 2 years
- Non-dairy, free from soy, corn, wheat, and gluten, and is non-GMO
- Is acid and bile resistant to survive the stomach and intestinal transit
- Uses nitrogen packaging and is freeze-dried
Using Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics
Mercola Probiotics contains a high CFU count compared to many other probiotic supplements. Dr. Mercola also included an impressive number of different beneficial bacteria, including one that I had never tried before, Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1. (See end of post for details about this bacteria strain.)
During my first test of this supplement some years back I had a very problematic gut so I was a good guinea pig.
I felt a positive effect just a few days after I started taking this supplement; the positive effect reached a maximum after about one month or so. One immediate effect was a more stable gut, regular bowel movement and an overall pleasant feeling of comfort.
Some of my most stubborn symptoms that I’ve had for decades disappeared almost completely after about a month or two. Symptoms like bloating, severe gut pain, inflammation, constipation and other symptoms that had bothered me in the past diminished by 70%.
- After using Dr. Mercola Probiotics for almost two years I concluded it was working very well in my case
The positive effects I experienced from using Mercola Probiotics were a good sign that this supplement contains a successful combination of bacteria that is live and active.
What about cost?
If you buy the larger bottle with 180 capsules, you’ll pay 78.97 (September 2015).
The recommended daily serving is two capsules. However, I noticed that after taking two capsules for some months, I was able to go down to one capsule per day and still get the desired effect. If you need only one capsule per day, then the price gets very attractive.
Mercola Probiotic Packs are great for children (and others who dislike capsules). The packs are prepared to just open and swallow. The Probiotic Packs have a great taste that will please both children and adults—lemon, strawberry and raspberry. Mercola Probiotics Packs are as powerful as the Probiotics capsules.
- Each pack contains 66 billion CFU
- 11 different probiotic bacteria
- Travel ready; easy to bring along when on the go
- Taste of lemon, raspberry and strawberry (excellent taste!)
A word on Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1
Both Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics and Probiotic Packs contain the unique bacteria Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1. Why is this noteworthy?
Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 is a highly effective bacteria strain. There are other strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus out there, but without the extension DDS-1 specificity. The DDS-1 strain has some unique properties.
Studies reveal that Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1…
- adapts exceptionally well to the human body; it easily colonizes in the gut
- is acid and bile resistant for intestinal survival
- strongly promotes digestive health
- supports the immune system
- produces significant quantities of lactase, aiding lactose intolerant ones
Several studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of DDS-1 and validate its use as a probiotic.
Three studies to prove the point:
- In 2010 a major health center conducted a review on DDS-1 and bowel health. After 60 days of treatment, most subjects showed significant improvement in abdominal health, bloating and occasional elimination irregularities.
- 2003: L. acidophilus DDS-1 support the epithelial cell lines
- 1997: In animal research, DDS-1 was shown to support the production of immune components. DDS-1 performed better than three other strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bfidobacterium bifidum.
Mercola Complete Probiotic is a great supplement, highly recommended. The L. acidophilus DDS-1 in seems to greatly enhance the effect of this supplement. Mercola Probiotics is suitable for most people no matter what the needs are.