Updated May 2015.
I’ve tested many probiotics supplements before I decided to try Dr. Mercola New Complete Probiotics. Dr. Mercola’s enthusiasm for friendly bacteria and fermented foods is well known and his Complete Probiotics supplement has received much praise from many consumers.
In any case, I decided to thoroughly test Dr. Mercola Probiotics to determine the quality.
Dr. Mercola Probiotics features
It does not take much research to realize that Dr. Mercola sticks to the highest principles when producing his probiotic supplements; he has included the best and most potent ingredients and in large quantities.
The list of positive features is pretty impressive. Dr. Mercola Probiotics is backed by academic and scientific research including patents, trademarks, and awards. There are also independent lab tests done to show the high potency of Mercola Probiotics.
Brief summary of features:
- Packs a minimum of 70-90 billion bacteria in one serving (2 capsules)
- 10 bacteria strains; all researched and with well-known benefits
- Contains a specific super-strain Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1
- All bacteria are of human origins; no soil organisms (HSO)
- Capsules are vegetable-based
- Is stable at room temperature for at least 2 years
- Non-dairy, free from soy, corn, wheat, and gluten, and is non-GMO
- Is acid and bile resistant to survive the stomach and intestinal transit
- Uses nitrogen packaging and is freeze-dried
Using Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics
Mercola Complete Probiotics contains a high CFU count compared to many other probiotic supplements. Dr. Mercola also included an impressive number of different beneficial bacteria, including one that I had never tried before, Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1. (See end of post for details about this potent bacteria strain.)
At the time I did this test I had a very problematic gut so I was a good guinea pig.
I felt a positive effect just a few days after I started taking this supplement; the positive effect reached a maximum after about one month or two. One immediate effect was a much more stable gut, regular bowel movement and an overall pleasant feeling of comfort.
Amazingly, some of my most stubborn symptoms I’ve had for decades disappeared almost completely only after about a month. Symptoms like bloating, severe gut pain, inflammation, constipation and other symptoms that so often bothered me in the past disappeared almost entirely.
- After using Dr. Mercola Probiotics for two years I concluded it was the best probiotic supplement I’ve ever tried.
The positive effects I experienced from using Mercola Probiotics were yet another good sign that this supplement contains a very successful combination of bacteria and in the right amount.
What about cost?
The recommended daily serving is two capsules. However, I noticed that after taking two capsules for some months, I was able to go down to one capsule per day and still get the desired effect. Then the price got even more attractive.
I’ve also tried to take this supplement for a month or two and then stop for a month and then start again. This worked very well and significantly lowered the cost.
If you buy the larger bottle with 180 capsules, you’ll pay 40-45 cents per capsule (May 2015, Amazon,com). Considering the many health benefits, Mercola Probiotics can be a great investment.
Mercola Probiotic Packs for children
Mercola Probiotic Packs are great for children (and others who dislike capsules). The packs are prepared to just open and swallow. The Probiotic Packs have a great taste that will please both children and adults—lemon, strawberry and raspberry. Mercola Probiotics Packs are as powerful as the Probiotics capsules.
- Each pack contains 66 billion CFU
- 11 different probiotic bacteria
- Travel ready; easy to bring along when on the go
- Taste of lemon, raspberry and strawberry (great taste!)
Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1
Both Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics and Probiotic Packs contain the unique bacteria Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1. Why is this noteworthy?
Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 is a highly effective bacteria strain. There are other strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus out there, but without the extension DDS-1 specificity. The DDS-1 strain has unique properties.
Studies reveal that Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1…
- adapts exceptionally well to the human body; it easily colonizes in the gut
- is acid and bile resistant for intestinal survival
- strongly promotes digestive health
- supports the immune system
- produces significant quantities of lactase, aiding lactose intolerant ones
Several studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of DDS-1 and validate its use as a probiotic.
Here are three studies:
- In 2010 a major health center conducted a review on DDS-1 and bowel health. After 60 days of treatment, most subjects showed significant improvement in abdominal health, bloating and occasional elimination irregularities.
- 2003: L. acidophilus DDS-1 support the epithelial cell lines
- 1997: In animal research, DDS-1 was shown to support the production of immune components. DDS-1 performed better than three other strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bfidobacterium bifidum.
Mercola Complete Probiotic is a great supplement, highly recommended. The L. acidophilus DDS-1 in Mercola Probiotics seems to greatly enhance the effect of this supplement. Mercola Probiotics is suitable for most people no matter what the needs are.