I’ve tried many probiotics supplements before I decided to try this one from Dr. Mercola; I don’t regret I did. Dr. Mercola is known to produce high quality vitamins and supplements that has become very popular and Dr. Mercola’s Complete Probiotics has received much praise from consumers.
As Dr. Mercola is a strong promoter for natural bacteria and fermented foods, he has become a real “Dr. Probiotics.”
Dr Mercola Complete Probiotics—Review and Test Results
The claims are that Dr Mercola sticks to the highest principles when producing his supplements and that he only includes the best and most potent ingredients and in sufficient quantity. Is this true with his probiotic supplement and does it have any positive effect on you gut?
- After using Dr. Mercola’s probiotics supplement for two years I conclude that this is one of the best probiotic supplement I’ve ever tried. Why do I say this?
First, it contains a high number of bacteria compared to many other probiotic supplements on the market. Dr Mercola also includes an impressive number of different bacteria strains; one of which I had never tried before—the DDS-1.
I noticed that to reach maximum benefits, I had to take the supplement daily for some time; for me it took one or two months to reach optimal effect. But I’ve also had problems with my gut for many years.
- One pleasant effect was than my stomach became much more stable and bowel movement more regular. I was just a pleasant feeling of comfort in my gut that seem to work much better than before.
- Amazingly, some of my most stubborn symptoms disappeared completely; bloating, pain, constipation have bothered me much in the past, but not any more.
- Another interesting “side effect” was weight loss. Even though this was not my goal taking a probiotics supplement, but after some months I had dropped a few pounds without changing my diet.
All these positive effects prompted me to engage in a healthier diet; I started eating more raw food, less meat and skipped processed foods altogether. This helped me to return to the shape I used to have in my twenties, it was rally amazing! I’m not saying this is what you will experience, but it does show that this supplement truly works, especially if you combine it with a healthy diet. Of course, each individual is different and therefore you just have to try and see how it works for you.
But as far as quality is concerned, I can just say that Dr Mercola’s probiotic supplement really works very well.
Using Dr. Mercola Probiotics as starter culture
When fermenting vegetables or sauerkraut at home, using a starter culture makes the process faster, more stable and will contain many more probiotic bacteria strains that if you stick to wild fermentation. Wild fermentation means just letting natural bacteria, yeast and enzymes present in the vegetables to get to work. However, using a starter culture makes things much easier.
Dr. Mercola’s probiotics is excellent as a starter culture. It contains the right composition of probiotic bacteria and will produce fermented vegetables containing a very high number of beneficial bacteria—10 trillion bacteria in four to six ounces of fermented vegetables. That’s extremely much! Using Dr. Mercola probiotics capsules also creates high vitamin K2 contents. It therefore seems that Dr Mercola probiotics is one of the best starter cultures available. Use two capsules for every quart of vegetables you’re fermenting.
I’ve also tried to use Dr Mercola Probiotics to ferment raw milk into a yogurt-like drink. It worked marvelously; tuned out fresh, creamy and could be kept in the fridge for a week. From this first batch you can continue using the same bacteria for a few more batches. But you have to be careful on how to do this.
How much will Dr. Mercola Probiotics cost you?
As to cost per capsule, you get a lot for your money. The recommended daily serving is two capsules containing 70-90 billion CFU. However, I noticed that after taking two capsule for some months I was able to go down to one capsule per day and still get the desired effect. Each capsule contains 35-45 billion bacteria from 10 different strains. This is very high and if you decide to take only one capsule per day, the price gets even more attractive.
I’ve also tried to take this supplement for a month or two and then stop and wait for a month and then start again. This seems to work very well with my stomach and can lower the cost if you’re budget is limited. You can also try to eat more fermented vegetables and yogurt. But the capsules are very convenient to use.
If you buy the larger bottle with 180 capsules, you’ll pay about 40 cents per capsule (As of April 2013). Considering the many health benefits, this is a great investment.
Dr Mercola Probiotics Packs—a great choice for children (and others who dislike capsules)
To make it easier to take for children (and others) to take, Dr. Mercola has prepared packs that you can just open and swallow. These are much simpler that swallowing big capsules; many people dislike capsules.
The packs also has a great taste that will please children; lemon, strawberry and raspberry. The packs are as powerful as the capsules. Therefore, the same applies to children as to adults—observe how your child reacts to probiotics and adjust the dose accordingly. It might be wise to start off slow.
- Each pack contains 66 billion CFU.
- 11 different probiotic bacteria strains
- Travel ready; easy to bring along when on the go
- Comes in different tastes—lemon, rasperry and strawberry (the taste is really great!)
In depth information on Dr Mercola’s Complete Probiotics
Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1
Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 is the name of this highly effective strain of beneficial bacteria. There are other strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus out there, but without the extension DDS-1 specificity. This strain has some unique properties.
It has been found that the DDS-1 strain possesses vital properties important to human health. Research at a major Midwestern university showed how DDS-1 enhanced human health because it colonized well in the human gut.
Other studies suggest DDS-1 can be effective toward enhancing human health because it…
- adapts well to the human body because of its human origin
- is acid and bile resistant for intestinal survival
- helps promote your digestive health
- aids in supporting your immune system
- contributes to the good balance of your intestinal flora
- produces significant quantities of lactase to potentially aid in lactose intolerance challenges
It would seem that Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 is an important and necessary strain in any effective probiotic supplement. Without it, I believe you’re not maximizing the potential of using probiotic supplements.
But it’s one thing to just explain how DDS-1 potentially enhances your health. It’s another to provide examples of clinical trials and research that provide compelling evidence.
Over the years, several studies have demonstrated the diverse effectiveness of DDS-1 and help validate its potential use as a probiotic. Here are a few examples.
- In 2010 a major Midwestern University and prestigious health center conducted a review of case studies to determine whether using a multispecies probiotic with DDS-1 could enhance bowel health. The results? After 60 days of treatment, most subjects showed significant improvement in abdominal health, bloating and occasional elimination irregularities. This study suggests that DDS-1 may help create a healthy balance of microflora in the gastrointestinal tract.
- From Gut (2003) – DDS-1 helped to support the health of human epithelial cell lines when evaluated as part of a probiotic blend.
- (1997) – In animal research, isolated evaluation of DDS-1 supported the normal production of immune components. DDS-1 performed this better than three other strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus or Bfidobacterium bifidum.
Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics Product Features
- Helps maintain blood pressure levels in the normal range
- Packs 70-90 billion! “gut-friendly” bacteria in every serving
- Aids in the breakdown and removal of harmful toxins
- Provides critical support for your immune system health
- Promotes an optimal environment for the growth of good bacteria
- Contains specific super-strain Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1
- Shows high potency through independent lab test
- Works together with prebiotics for improved probiotic performance
- Is stable at room temperature for at least 2 years
- Is non-dairy, free from soy, corn, wheat, and gluten, and is non-GMO
- Helps maintain a healthy flora, promotes digestion, and supports immune function
- Adapts naturally to the human body due to its human origins
- Is acid and bile resistant to naturally survive the stomach and intestinal transit
- Produces natural enzymes, vitamins, lactic acid, and hydrogen peroxide
- Utilizes nitrogen packaging and is freeze-dried
- Comes available in vegetable-based capsules
- Is backed by academic and scientific research with patents and trademarks, and awards