I’ve tested many probiotics supplements before I decided to try Dr. Mercola New Complete Probiotics. Dr. Mercola’s enthusiasm for friendly bacteria and fermented foods is well known and his Complete Probiotics supplement has received much praise from many consumers.
A few years ago I used this supplement myself for almost two years. This updated review includes additional research.
Dr. Mercola Probiotics features
It does not take much research to realize that Dr. Mercola sticks to high manufacturing principles for his probiotic supplements. He has included high quality and potent bacteria and in large quantities.
The list of positive features is pretty impressive. Dr. Mercola Probiotics is backed by academic and scientific research including patents, trademarks, and awards. There are also independent lab tests done to confirm the potency of Mercola Probiotics.
Summary of features:
- Contains the super-strain Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1; very few supplements include this powerful bacteria
- Contains a minimum of 70-90 billion bacteria in one serving (2 capsules)
- All bacteria are of human origins, no doubtful soil organisms (HSOs)
- Acid and bile resistant to survive the stomach and intestinal transit
- Non-dairy, free from soy, corn, wheat, and gluten, and is non-GMO
- 10 different well-researched, beneficial bacteria strains
- Is stable at room temperature for at least 2 years
- Uses nitrogen packaging and is freeze-dried
- Capsules are vegetable-based
Using Mercola Complete Probiotics
Complete Probiotics contains a high CFU and among the bacteria is one strain that I had never tried before, Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1. (See end of post.)
During my first test of this supplement some years back I had a very problematic gut so I was a good guinea pig.
I felt a positive effect just a few days after I started taking this supplement; the positive effect reached a maximum after about one month or so. One immediate effect was a more stable digestive tract, regular bowel movement and an overall pleasant feeling of comfort.
Some of my most stubborn symptoms that I’ve had for decades disappeared almost completely after about a month or two. Symptoms like bloating, severe gut pain, inflammation, constipation and other symptoms that had bothered me in the past diminished by 70%.
- Dr. Mercola Probiotics is a potent supplement
The positive effects I experienced from using Mercola Probiotics were a good sign that this supplement contains a successful combination of bacteria that is live and active.
What about cost?
The large bottle with 180 capsules cost 78.97 (September 2015).
The recommended daily serving is two capsules. However, I noticed that after taking two capsules for some time, I was able to go down to one capsule per day and still get the desired effect. If you need only one capsule per day, then the price gets even more attractive.
I’ve also tried to take this supplement for a month and then stop for a few weeks and then start again. This worked well and also significantly lowered the cost.
Dr. Merola also offers another probiotic supplement. Here’s a short review of the Probiotic Packs.
Mercola Probiotic Packs for children: Mercola Probiotic Packs are great for children (and others) who dislike capsules. The packs are prepared to just open and swallow.
The Probiotic Packs have a taste that is hard to resist. No doubt that this will please both children and adults. The taste is of lemon, strawberry, and raspberry. Mercola Probiotics Packs are as powerful as the Complete Probiotics capsules.
Probiotic Packs features:
- Each pack contains 66 billion CFU
- 11 different probiotic bacteria
- Travel ready; easy to bring along when on the go
- Taste of lemon, raspberry, and strawberry
A word about Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1
Both Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics and the Probiotic Packs contain the unique bacteria Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1. Why is this noteworthy?
Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 is a highly effective bacteria strain. There are other strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus out there, but without the extension DDS-1 specificity. The DDS-1 strain has some unique properties.
Properties of L. acidophilus DDS-1:
- adapts exceptionally well to the human body; it easily colonizes in the gut
- is acid and bile resistant for intestinal survival; this strain is unusually sturdy
- extra strong effect on the digestive health
- powerful support for the immune system
- produces significant quantities of lactase; excellent for those who are lactose intolerant
Several studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of DDS-1.
Three studies prove the point:
- In 2010, a major health center conducted a review on DDS-1 and bowel health. After 60 days of treatment, most subjects showed significant improvement in abdominal health, bloating and occasional elimination irregularities.
- 2003: L. acidophilus DDS-1 support the epithelial cell lines
- 1997: In animal research, DDS-1 was shown to support the production of immune components. DDS-1 performed better than three other strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum.
Mercola Complete Probiotic and Probiotic Packs are great supplements, highly recommended. The L. acidophilus DDS-1 greatly enhance the effect and is suitable for most people no matter what the needs are.