I tested many probiotics supplements before I decided to try Dr Mercola Complete Probiotics. Dr Mercola’s enthusiasm for probiotic bacteria and fermented food is well known. Mercola Complete Probiotics supplement has received much praise from consumers and in independent lab tests. And after using this supplement myself for over one year, I think the picture is clear.
This updated review includes additional research.
Mercola Complete Probiotics
It does not take much research to realize that Dr Mercola sticks to high manufacturing principles for his probiotic supplements. He has included high quality and potent bacteria and in sufficient quantities in his New Complete Probiotics.
Dr Mercola Complete Probiotics is backed by academic and scientific research including patents, trademarks, and awards. There are also independent lab tests done that confirm the potency and quality of Mercola Probiotics supplements.
Summary of features
- Contains the super-strain Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 (very few supplements include this)
- Contains a minimum of 70-90 billion bacteria in one serving (2 capsules)
- Acid and bile resistant to survive the stomach and intestinal transit
- Non-dairy, free from soy, corn, wheat, and gluten, and is non-GMO
- 10 different well-researched, highly beneficial bacteria strains
- Is stable at room temperature for at least 2 years
- Uses nitrogen packaging and is freeze-dried
- Capsules are vegetable-based
Mercola New Complete Probiotics contains a high CFU and among the bacteria is one strain that I had never tried before, Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1. (See end of post.)
During my first test of this supplement some years back I had a very problematic gut so I was a good guinea pig. The positive effect started after just a few days and reached a maximum after about a month or so. One immediate effect was a more stable digestive tract, regular bowel movement and an overall pleasant feeling of comfort.
The most stubborn gut problems that I had for decades begun to fade after a few months. Bloating, gut pain, inflammation and other symptoms that bothered me in the past diminished by 70%.
- Mercola Complete Probiotics a potent supplement
Many satisfied customers report a positive experience from using Dr Mercola Comlete Probiotics which is a good sign that it contains a successful combination of bacteria that is live and active.
What about cost?
The large bottle with 180 capsules is $78.00 (August 2017).
The recommended daily serving is two capsules. However, some people have noticed that after taking two capsules for a month or so, they are able to go down to one capsule per day and still get the desired effect. This way the price gets more attractive. You can also take two capsules per day for a month and then stop for a few weeks and then start again. For some this works well and also significantly lowers the cost.
Dr. Merola Probiotics Powder Packets
Mercola Probiotic Packets for Kids: Great for children (and others) who dislike capsules. The packets are prepared to just open and swallow. Uses the same formula as Complete Probiotics, just a lower CFU that might be better for kids. The packets contain no sugar but are delicious. They have a fruity raspberry taste that is hard to resist. The packets can be taken as it or mixed with water or juice.
Probiotic Packets for Kids features:
- 1o different probiotic bacteria
- Each packet contains 10 billion CFU
- Taste of lemon, raspberry, and strawberry
- Travel ready; easy to bring along when on the go
Complete Probiotics Powder Packets (earlier Probiotic Packs). for adults who dislike capsules. Same formula as the Complete Probiotics capsules. Delicious, fruity taste and very addictive and refreshing. (Will soon become available.)
Additional ingredients in both Packets for Kids and Complete Probiotics Packets:
- Luo Han Guo (Fruit) Extract
- Citric Acid (for freshness)
- Maltodextrin (from Potato)
- Inulin (chicory root)
- Natural strawberry flavor
- Natural raspberry flavor
- Natural citrus flavor
- Organic raspberry
- Beet juice powder
- Silicon dioxide
- Organic stevia
- Beet powder
L. acidophilus DDS-1
Both Mercola Complete Probiotics and Probiotic Packets for Kids contain the unique bacteria Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1. Why is this noteworthy?
Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 is a highly effective bacteria strain. There are other strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus out there, but without the extension DDS-1 specificity. The DDS-1 strain has some unique properties.
Properties of L. acidophilus DDS-1
- produces significant quantities of lactase; excellent for those who are lactose intolerant
- is acid and bile resistant for intestinal survival; this strain is unusually sturdy
- adapts exceptionally well to the human body; it easily colonizes in the gut
- extra strong effect on the digestive health
- powerful support for the immune system
Studies demonstrate effectiveness of DDS-1
Three studies prove the point:
- In 2010, a major health center conducted a review on DDS-1 and bowel health. After 60 days of treatment, most subjects showed significant improvement in abdominal health, bloating and occasional elimination irregularities.
- 2003: L. acidophilus DDS-1 support the epithelial cell lines
- 1997: In animal research, DDS-1 was shown to support the production of immune components. DDS-1 performed better than three other strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum.
Mercola Complete Probiotics and the Probiotic Packets are great supplements and highly recommended. The L. acidophilus DDS-1 greatly enhances the effect and is suitable for most people no matter what the needs are.