Dr Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes is one of the best digestive enzyme supplements I’ve ever reviewed. In fact, I think it is the best and most complete formula, closely followed by Doctor’s Best Enzymes. I’ve not found many other serious competitors to these two brands. Dr Mercola’s latest enzyme upgrade is impressive!
A few years ago I tried and reviewed the earlier versions of Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes. They were fine, good-quality supplements. However, this new formula is not just an improvement of the previous versions. Dr Mercola changed the entire approach and created a much more powerful and complete digestive enzyme supplement. In fact, he created a set of six new digestive enzyme supplements, each covering some specific needs. In some cases, it is best to combine several of these enzyme supplements.
This review is about the quality and effectiveness of the latest Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes. But I will also post reviews on five other Mercola enzyme supplements you can see below.
- Mercola Ketozyme—for those on a high-fat keto diet
- Mercola Gluten Enzymes—for a rapid digestion of gluten
- Mercola Gallbladder Enzymes—after a gallbladder removal
- Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes for Women (and vegetarians)
- Mercola Dairy Enzymes—to reduce symptoms of lactose intolerance
Dr Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes
Here is a summery of the main features of this supplement. A more detailed description of the enzymes and how they work can be found at the end of the post.
- This new formula takes into consideration what an average person in the 21 century actually eats on a daily basis. Therefore, it contains additional enzymes not included in the previous version. The extra enzymes compensates for consuming processed food that are low in natural enzymes. In addition, many people have have an impaired capacity to produce digestive enzymes, something that causes digestive problems.
- The Full Spectrum Enzymes contains a broad range of 22 powerful enzymes derived from plants, bacteria and fungus. The enzymes are composed to work in different parts of the gut containing different levels of acidity. The two earlier Mercola Enzyme versions contained 9 and 11 different enzymes. So this is a major upgrade!
- Dr Mercola included higher levels of enzymes—some enzymes are twice as much than the earlier supplement. Therefore, one capsule will be more than enough, even after a heavy meal. The high levels of enzymes will also compensate for a possible loss during storage.
- The new formula includes the almighty ATP (Adenosine triphosphate). ATP is called the “energy currency of life.” It is a vital molecule that stores energy for all living cells and is the source of energy all humans needs to do any kind of work. ATP is present in raw food (not processed) and is important for a good digestion. This is a great addition, especially those who eat less raw food (see ATP video link end of post).
- It is designed to quickly break down carbs, fat, and proteins. A rapid digestion helps avoid bloating, gas, indigestion and other digestive problem.
- The supplement is all vegan and does not contain anything derived from animal sources. It’s also gluten and soy free, and non-GMO.
- Dr Mercola offers plenty of information about enzyme manufacturing principles, research and background to this supplement. I like Dr Mercola’s openness and how he presents enough information to know what you are buying.
What about cost?
A bottle with 90 capsules costs $32 (June 2018). This is a bit more than Doctor’s Best which I also like. However, Dr Mercola offers a very effective, powerful supplement. And if you need only one capsule per day for the main meal, then one bottle will last for three months. Believe me, when I had severe digestive problems in the past, I was ready to pay for a good supplement that really worked. With many other brands, you need two or more capsules to notice an improvement. This is fine, but it also increases the cost. Therefore, the Mercola Enzymes price tag is not the only factor to look at.
How to take
The recommended dose is one capsule with the main meal. For most people, this will be more than enough, even during a heavy meal. Some people think it works best to take the enzymes some 15 minutes before the meal, others feel it work better if it’s taken during the meal. Try what works best for you. In any case, avoid enzymes too late in the evening as it can disturb some body processes, including sleep.
Excellent supplement! In fact, I think Mercola Enzymes works better than Doctor’s Best Enzymes, which I also consider excellent. Besides those two brands, I’ve not seen other digestive enzyme supplements with such a powerful formula. Dr Mercola’s previous digestive enzyme supplements were very good. However, this updated version raises the level much higher.
Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes
You might think that digestive enzymes are only involved in the digestion of food. However, these same enzymes are essential for many other body functions. They keep the digestive tract in shape and help lessen inflammation, strengthen the immune system, improve mood, and much more.
This lists all enzymes included in Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes. It gives you an idea about the importance of enzymes. But it’s by no means a complete list.
|Proteases||Help digest different kinds of proteins.||Assist many processes as immune system, blood circulation.|
|Cellulase I, II||Break down cellulose into smaller parts as glucose; help free up nutrients.||Help detoxify gut, support cell membranes, control blood sugar, cholesterol.|
|Lipase I, II||Break down fat (triglycerides), promote fat usage, support the gallbladder.||Boost immunity, alleviates celiac, cystic fibrosis, heartburn, allergy, Crohn’s.|
|Bromelain (from pineapple)||Powerful enzyme For complete digestion of proteins.||Powerful enzyme; lessens inflammation, pain, urinary infections, arthritis.|
|Papain (from papaya)||For complete digestion of proteins.||Lessens pain, swelling, inflammation.|
|Beta-Glucanase||Breaks down polysaccharides in grains.||Reduces Candida, lessens many digestive issues.|
|Glucoamylase||Converts starch into glucose for energy.||Lessens IBS, gas, nausea, heartburt, and autoimmune responses.|
|Amylase||Breaks down carbohydrates as starch and glycogen.||Prevents swelling, rejuvinates entire body.|
|Diastase||Degrades maltose to glucose, digest starch.||Helpful in case of pancreatic diseases.|
|Lactase||Breaks down lactose (milk sugar) into glucose and galactose.||Reduces IBS, gut irritation, heartburn, ulcers.|
|Pectinase (found in apples and bananas)||Breaks down carbohydrates in fruits and vegetables.||Plays key role for gut protection, benefits entire body.|
|Xylanase||Breaks down wheat, oats and barley. Reduces gas, bloating.||Increase availability of nutrients, supports gut bacteria.|
|Alpha Galactosidase||Helps digest gas-promoting carbs in legumes, beans, fibrous vegetables.||Great to avoid indigestion and discomfort.|
|Peptidase||Releases amino acids from proteins and polypeptides.||Lessens inflammatory conditions, prevents anxiety and insomnia.|
|Phytase||Supports mineral absorption; breaks down phytic acid,.||Reduces toxins in the gut, boosts bone health.|
|Hemicellulase||Digests soluble fibers in plant cell walls; releases nutrients bound in fruits and vegetables.||Reduces candida, improves digestion, gives more energy.|
|Invertase||Splits sucrose into glucose and fructose.||Immune booster, reduces ulcers, respiratory problems, cancer.|
|ATP||Very powerful coenzyme. Used by all living cells for energy. Initiates digestive processes, like a jump-start.||Energy-carrying shuttle that fuels all cells in body. Essential for life.|